?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Josh-D. S. Davis

Xaminmo / Omnimax / Max Omni / Mad Scientist / Midnight Shadow / Radiation Master

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
A comment with concerns about the destruction of sea life from oil spills...
Josh 201604 KWP
joshdavis
"What the average Joe Schmoe is does not realize is that 70% and 80% of the oxygen in the atmosphere is produced by marine plants. The other 20%-30% comes from our forests.

Marine plants are killed by oil. Marine plants also have a symbiotic relationship with other ocean life. Eutrophication of the oceans caused by pollution and global warming has already caused huge dead zones in the oceans.

Before this oil disaster the size of these dead zones were doubling in size (geometrically) every ten years. There has been a measurable decrease in O2 and increase in CO2 since the beginning of the industrial revolution.

The oxygen consumed by burning fossil fuels, combined with deforestation and killing of the oceans has we have removed .095% of the oxygen in our atmosphere. At the same time has been a 30% increase in carbon dioxide. The increase CO2 has resulted in increased photosynthesis by existing plant life but the amount of CO2 being released into the atmosphere still exceeds what plant life can process.

For human life to exist there must be a minimum of 18% oxygen at sea level. The atmosphere is currently at around 21% oxygen. Just a 3% change would mean the extinction of human life as well as a number of other species. Note that OSHA rules say below 19.5% an environment is oxygen deficient."

Ref: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/riki-ott/the-big-lie-bp-government_b_638369.html?ref=fb&src=sp

  • 1
*acquiring*

Looks interesting.

Now, if there's some nanites and quantum physics thrown in, that would be even better...

  • 1